Monday, September 13, 2010

That Thing You Do...

As a recovering anorexic, it's often very hard for me on a day to day basis to maintain my focus because of all the temptations. It's a much different addiction than most others, because the addiction is played out everywhere around us. I know from experience that I am drawn to tabloid magazines and any image with an emaciated or thin women on it. I also know that this is my addiction. Every time I look at these images that I am so drawn to, I feel like crap afterward...so why the crap so I look at them?! I know I used to justify this self-destructive behavior by saying, "this will make me work harder, eat less, lose more", because I knew the images would make me feel bad about myself, and it would motivate me. Now I am trying to get out of this rut I have created for myself, where I still want to do this destructive behavior, even though I am trying to get well. Most people with eating disorders know exactly what I am talking about, this idea of "thinspiration", an unhealthy ideal that will perhaps forever cloud our minds. Whether or not I am drawn to thinness, it does not mean I have to continually subject myself to these images and then the horrible self hatred that follows. To be perfectly honest, I find myself doing this and don't always even realize it, that is how normal it is. I would go as far as to say that it provides a kind of high that keeps us coming back for more...like a real drug. Even if you don't have an eating disorder, I feel like many people can relate to this sort of behavior, because I see women, and men, looking at the tabloids all the time, and we all know that these magazines aren't going to boost self-esteem! Yet they continue to read them...so it's a universally destructive behavior that I think we all need to be more aware of, so we can work to change it. I think this is a good step in learning to love yourself more...not being so obsessed with what you could be, and focusing more on what you are, and what your own potential is.

No comments:

Post a Comment