Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Healthy, Candida Friendly Chocolate Smoothie!

One of my favorite food indulgences is that of smoothies! Unfortunately, until now, I was unable to make one that tasted truly yummy, and satisfied all my cravings. I got this recipe off another website after doing a search, and slightly modified it to my liking.

Here is a web link to the original recipe, Carob Soy Shake/Smoothie.
http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Candida-Diet-Part-III

Here is my updated version of the recipe, and how I prefer it:
1 cup organic unsweetened soy milk (120 calories, 5 carbs)
1 Tbls. vegetable glycerin (66 calories,15 carbs)
1/2 tsp. stevia extract (liquid)
4 Tbls. ground flax seeds (160 calories, 8 carbs)
3 Tbls. coconut milk (unsweetened) (10 calories, 0 carbs)
1 Tbls. unsweetened carob powder (20 calories, 5 carbs)
1/4 tsp. vanilla flavoring (different than vanilla extract)
Ice (how much is up to you)
Blend until your satisfied with consistency
376 calories, 33 carbs (including fiber carbs) 

I found this drink delicious, and I hope you will too! You may also play around with the ingredients if you like, to find the perfect fit for yourself. I added some nutritional facts for those interested in counting carbs or calories. I do both and generally write them down everyday in my food log. Nutritional facts can vary depending on the type of ingredients you buy, but this will give you a rough estimate. I was able to get all of these ingredients at my local health food store. 
ENJOY! :)

(note: I do not normally advocate for the use of soy milk, because too much can be unhealthy. I do feel, however, that it is alright to use soy milk as a treat once in a while in small  quantities, and in any case, organic unsweetened soy milk should always be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment