Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sweeten your day...

The Candida diet is extremely hard to remain committed to, especially when there is little or no sugar allowed (depending on whether you are allowed to have small amounts of fruit or not). Being a formal sugar addict myself, I felt almost crippled by this restriction at first! There is some light at the end of the tunnel though. I assure you, if you stick to the diet, your taste buds will change, and you will crave the ultra-sugary foods less, as well as the fact that you will start to like the taste of healthy foods more. Needless to say, I still want a treat here and there...well maybe more than that! A safe sweetener to use is Stevia. It's safe because it's not artificial like aspartame and it comes from a herb, so it's naturally occurring. Stevia can replace sugar to sweeten just about anything, but be careful because it can be up to 300 times sweeter than table sugar and too much will turn something bitter! Stevia does not alter blood sugar levels, and that is partially why it is allowed on the Candida diet, along with it's all-natural properties. I carry a small bottle of Stevia in my purse, this way if I go somewhere I can treat myself with tea, and sweeten it with my own Stevia. So have a sweet day on the Candida diet, with Stevia!

No comments:

Post a Comment