Thursday, April 21, 2011

Natural Acne Treatment

I have suffered, like many others, from acne since I was very young. I have been on numerous topicals as well as oral medications and washes to treat my symptoms. It was not until I started birth control in high school that I saw any real sort of improvement from my acne, aside from the Minocycline antibiotic that caused blue pigmentation on my legs (not what I would call a good trade-off). Unfortunately, my chronic and long term use of both birth control and antibiotic pills has lead me to problems that I feel can only be solved by my strict Candida diet and no longer taking these pills. After quitting birth control I faced acne problems once again. This is when I really started to become interested in natural acne solutions. Although I have found no complete solution for my acne, I have found some simple things that have made a huge difference.

I take a supplement with vitamins A, C, E, B, Iron, Zinc, Selenium, Copper and Chromium in it. I have researched and most of these vitamins are implicated in the treatment of acne; this is actually the reason why i began taking it. Vitamin A is actually used in a potent acne treatment known as Accutane/Isotretinoin. My theory has always been that if large doses of vitamin A are synthetically given to patients to treat and sometimes cure acne, then supplementing with vitamin A should have positive affects as well.

I also use a wash and cream combo that I have found to be quite effective without having all of the harsh chemicals that most acne products do. This product is called Natralia Acne Rescue Kit. It doesn't excessively dry out my skin, and it is able to produce results.

Probably the most controversial idea I had was tanning. This idea came to me because many dermatologists practice light therapy, which is extremely similar to tanning. This acne treatment is supposed to kill bacteria and help clear skin for a few months until the next treatment. My idea was that if high doses help, then why wouldn't regular tanning produce some of the same results? I have had huge success with tanning, and I think that it has been an effective tool. Although many people are not in favor of this because it is implicated in causing cancer and wrinkles, I researched and found that it can have many health benefits besides clearing acne. It can stimulate vitamin D production, and can be effective in treating seasonal affective disorder. I also found that not all tanning beds are created equal. From reading on Dr. Mercola's website, he endorses using a tanning bed with an electronic ballast. This is a safer option for those who would like to tan!

Don't let acne control your life. Simple changes in diet and exercise, along with using supplements can often be the change someone needs to see drastic improvement in their skin.  

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! I think that acne treatment is very individual and each person must find what works for them. Even after using a variety of acne treatments, I have yet to find one that completely clears my skin. The treatments I have found have helped to control my breakouts though. I only hope to give others options they might not have considered otherwise.

    ReplyDelete