Friday, April 22, 2011

How can the Candida diet benefit anorexia?

Anorexia has long been researched for its possible causes. One such theory that I find especially interesting is one that is linked to serotonin levels. The theory is that people with anorexia have abnormally high levels of serotonin, so to compensate, they eat less to bring these levels down. This would obviously be happening at a subconscious level, possibly because our bodies are so intelligent at trying to balance themselves. Unfortunately, in the process of depleting the body of the serotonin source, which is carbohydrates, anorexics also deplete the body of other important substances as well, which are linked to all the other foods they are restricting.

Keeping this theory in mind, the candida diet would be very beneficial for anorexics. Because this diet is low in carbohydrates, it would naturally bring down serotonin levels while the person was still able to receive the other needed nutrients. I believe this diet has helped me tremendously in my journey with anorexia. I think that it allowed me to be able to control the illness instead of the illness having control over me.

I understand more than anyone that this diet is not necessary a complete fix, because anorexia can be complex and can be caused by numerous factors. I do believe though that this can play a key role in helping anorexics find control over their body in a healthy manner.   

No comments:

Post a Comment