Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Getting out of a slump...

Since I've been experiencing a slump lately, brought on by my battle to discontinue Topamax, I've started thinking about how I could dig my way out. Quitting my Topamax is proving more difficult than I had originally anticipated. I knew it would be challenging, but the challenge is testing my limits. I have realized during all of this, that I need to remain patient. Unfortunately, patience is NOT one of my strong suits. I want things to happen right away, and I want to see changes immediately, or I am not satisfied. This however, is not a good attitude for my health. I originally thought that I would be off this medication in no time, and that everything would be fine, WRONG. I have had numerous side effects from just tapering my dosage. On this note, I have decided that perhaps my body is not ready for another drastic reduction in my medication, and I need to be happy that I have cut my dose in half and am handling that well. I think the lesson I'm learning is that I need to listen to my body, and keep in mind that it is resilient. My body doesn't understand what I have in mind, or what I want it to do. It has been on this medication for years, and so unfortunately my body doesn't know how to cope without it. I think I will try to keep in mind all of positives about how far I have come, and give my body some time to cope before I ask more out of it than it can handle...I think patience and listening to your body is the key to health. 

No comments:

Post a Comment