Saturday, March 2, 2013

Can you choose to have an eating disorder?

This is a very interesting and highly debated topic. Many outsiders will look at someone with an eating disorder and wonder why they choose to live that way. Most people with eating disorders will defend themselves by saying, "I don't choose this, it's a disease" (or something to that extent). In my opinion, both are correct. Anorexia is clearly a disease/addiction, and most people need help in order to recover. This being said, I believe that many anorexics chose the lifestyle to begin with, and then became so consumed that their choice turned into an addiction. Looking at my own life, I made a clear choice to pursue self-starvation in order to lose weight and become thin. This process was intoxicating, and I slowly became less and less in control of my actions.

For many people, the process of developing an eating disorder is less clear. Some people may start a diet with perfectly good intentions and become addicted. Unfortunately, many people with eating disorders also choose to play the victim which only furthers their disease. Even addicts must choose to get better, so choice is always part of the process. Those who say they have no choice are not being honest with themselves or others.

No comments:

Post a Comment