Thursday, May 24, 2012

What is "normal" dieting?

Until recently, I believe I was in the dark about what constitutes normal dieting. Because I have had much experience with unhealthy diets, I was surprised when I joined Pinterest and discovered what individuals considered "normal" dieting. Many of my peers have special boards dedicated to weight loss and health, and to my surprise, many of the things they repinned seemed oddly familiar because I have seen them on pro-anorexia type sites, as well as engaged in many of the behaviors myself. This realization saddened me, but helped me better understand the reality of society and eating disorder recovery. Recovery from any addiction is extremely difficult, but recovery in a society that praises sickness is so much more difficult. I believe that recovery does not just pertain to people with eating disorders, but rather to all of society. So many people have disordered thoughts about food and their bodies that treating only those diagnosed would be like putting a bandaid on a bullet wound. I believe that "treatment" starts at home with parents. They have more influence usually than they realize, and often their influence stems from what they do, not what they say. I challenge everyone to start questioning these unhealthy ideas about food and body image!

No comments:

Post a Comment