Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Reducing Water Weight and Cleansing the Body

I believe one of the most frustrating things to wake up to is water bloat. During these kind of days I usually feel uncomfortable showing off my body and wearing tight fitting clothing. I usually grab my sweat pants and wish I could stay home. This may seem extreme, but I believe many people feel uncomfortable in their bodies to begin with, and water weight only adds to this discomfort. Water retention can be caused by a large variety of things, including excessive sodium consumption, hormones, nutritional deficiencies, prescription pills and a variety of diagnoses. There are abundance of different solutions for water retention, and the cause will often determine what method works best. 

My water retention is mild, and comes and goes throughout the month. In order to combat this annoyance, I drink a glass of water with fresh lemon juice and sometimes apple cider vinegar (must contain "the mother"). The ratio I usually use is 1 cup water: 1 whole lemon: 1/2-1 tsp ACV. The ACV can be very overpowering, so I suggest going easy on it to begin with. Both lemon and ACV have diuretic type properties, and will help cleanse your body. I enjoy drinking this first thing in the morning so I am sure to start out my day with a glass of water (which will also help reduce bloating).

Another thing that I often take is called Colax (a standard process supplement). This supplement contains dandelion root which is also known to reduce water retention. There are a variety of other natural remedies that can be used as well including: caffeine, parsley, green tea, garlic, celery, and onion. These things can be eaten or made into an herbal tea. I often find that natural remedies work better for me than using over the counter water pills!

No comments:

Post a Comment